Monday, June 11, 2012

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN - A great vision for a classic tale.

After this weekend I have decided to stop reading reviews for films before I actually see them. It is something I have always done and although I insist it doesn't cloud my judgement I'm pretty sure it does in some way. This is the problem I had with Snow White And The Huntsman. When the trailers were first released I thought this looked intriguing and couldn't possibly fail. I was quite excited for it in a way. Then it was released and the reviews came flooding in, and what did I do; I looked at them. All those negative reviews pouring in, oh no has this put me off the film? My girlfriend was uber-excited about it, so despite the negative reviews, I was aware that this was the film to see this weekend, and was I disappointed? No way!!

The problem with reading negative reviews of a film is that you instantly start to look for the negatives within it, and that is exactly what I done as soon as the film started, by the end I was nit picking and then I realised despite the few little grumbles it was actually pretty darn good. The girlfriend thought it was fantastic. The comments in the reviews were understandable but seemed a little pointless. Yes Chris Hemsworth's Scottish accent was strange, unexplained, and not consistent but he was brilliant in the role. In one scene in which he pours his heart out to Miss White you can really see his emotion and I am pretty sure the tears he shed were real. In my eyes this was his best performance so far, and I got over the accent rather quickly and actually believed it was his voice. He becomes lost in his character and he really added depth to it.

The other criticisms were Kristen Stewart's performance. Yes it isn't the best but she is ideal for the role. She has that innocent beauty that the character of Snow White needs. Name another actress that could look the part. Agreed she isn't the greatest actress but I felt she got away with it here because she looked the part, and despite being a little annoying at times, looked stunning in some sequences. The film was long yes but I only think that if it was shorter it would have been even better. A couple of scenes should have been tightened but they were all part of showing her journey from helpless Princess to heroic warrior. People also moan that the dwarves aren't in it enough. Now to me they became slightly annoying and I would have preffered less of them, plus it is Snow White And The Huntsman not Snow White And The Seven Dwarves.

The visuals within the film are stunning. The character of Ravenna (Charlize Theron) is so intriguing and she is aided with the visuals. From being covered in milk, to transforming into birds, to hauling herself to human form from black tar Theron's character is the most intriguing. It is such a new vision of this well known character. The mirror in which she asks the famous question, is also not a mirror but a figure that looks like the grim reaper. It emerges from the circular gold mirror and erects to tell her her fate. I was excited to see this new take on a classic and I have to say it really worked, and Theron's performance and character really helped that. The visuals were also fantastic within the forest. We see object transform into life forms, and dark bewildered forests that are nothing short of creepy. For a fantasy film this has a lot of scope.

Don't listen to the reviews of this film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and my girlfriend rated it as the best film of the year so far!! It is her type of movie and in her eyes didn't disappoint. Her high score scores this as joint best of the year so far. It is up there with one of the better films and I was shocked at that as I opened the film trying to pick out negatives. There are some but none that can ruin the fantastic visuals, the intriguing take, and the deep characters portrayed by Hemsworth and Theron. First time director Rupert Sanders has really delivered here and I can only ask all those reviewers out there; why did you think this was bad? It is actually really good!!

Pros: Interesting spin, great visuals, some great performances, and character development.

Cons: At times drags a little and the dwarves do change the tone slightly.

8 / 10


Top 10 of 2012 so far:


1. The Hunger Games     8 / 10
2. Snow White And The Huntsman     8 / 10
3. Avengers Assemble     7.5 / 10
4. 21 Jump Street     7.5 / 10
5. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol     7 / 10
6. The Grey     7 / 10
7. Prometheus     6.5 / 10
8. American Reunion     6 / 10
9. Safe House     6 / 10
10. The Raven     6 / 10







No comments:

Post a Comment