Thursday, January 19, 2012

To start the New Year!!

This year is going to be pretty big for movies!! Lots of ace reboots, sequels, prequels, remakes and original ideas all coming to the screen soon. It's a shame the New Year has started off quite slow then. I've already been to the cinema twice, one to see a film released last year and the other which was disappointing to say the least.

The first week of the year I went to see:

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

I have to say this was quite a surprise and actually pretty good. Starring Tom Cruise again but this time he lets his team take part in as many stunts as himself. The film needs to be watched for the set pieces alone. Breaking into the Kremlin is a great scene but an even better one is the climb on the outside of the tallest building in the world. Trust me the whole sequence is brilliant, definitely worth watch for that.

The film does slow down towards the end and found myself losing a bit of interest but once again the final scene is another good fight in a moving car park. The action scenes are great but only really see it for that, don't expect something deep thinking. Cruise is his usual self but the rest of the cast aren't great and just seem to slip into the film without really shining.

Pros: Action scenes, especially the whole sequence in Dubai.

Cons: Lack of character development for Jeremy Renner and Michael Nvquist.

7 / 10

I've also been to see:

The Iron Lady

This was utterly disappointing. The film bases itself mainly on Margret Thatcher's mental state at the moment and glosses over any of the famous, historical or important decisions she made during her role in politics. I thought the film would be controversial and I never really wanted to see it as I am aware she was not loved by everyone during her reign. I don't know too much about her as she was before my time but I am aware of some of her choices and that she is named 'Margret Thatcher the milk snatcher', after removing milk from schools. This wasn't even mentioned but hinted at.

The film didn't make me like the woman and actually made me dislike her. The only sympathy she received was when she was imagining her dead husband. Maybe that is why they presented her mainly in the present to gain sympathy from the people who opposed her. Also the supporting cast, Richard E Grant in particular is seen three times. What a waste of talent. I have to say this entire film is, it is only half decent because of Streep.

Pros: Meryl Streep doesn't just act as Thatcher, she becomes her.

Cons: The glossing over of all pivotal moments during her career.

4.5 / 10

So far for 2012 then my favourite films seen in cinema are:

1. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol          7/10
2. The Iron Lady                                          4.5/10


Of course there will be many more to follow.

Tolli

Seen these film? What you think?

1 comment:

  1. You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to
    be really something which I believe I'd never understand.
    It kind of feels too complex and very large for me.
    I'm taking a look ahead for your next post, I will attempt
    to get the cling of it!

    Feel free to surf to my page - GROSIR BAJU BAYI MURAH MERIAH (http://inhouse.iisweb.co.kr/)

    ReplyDelete